Whether you’ve read any D.H. Lawrence books, or simply enjoy a good story and visiting historic houses, come and visit our lovely museum where the controversial life of D.H. Lawrence began.
At the Birthplace Museum you can:
- Learn about family life in the mining community, which shaped Lawrence’s childhood and writing.
- See rooms where the family lived.
- View personal items and some of Lawrence’s original watercolour paintings.
You can find out more information about visiting the Museum here:
When can I visit?
The Museum is usually open Tuesday to Saturday 10.00am to 4.00pm by guided tours only.
Visits to the Museum are by scheduled timed admission only, for small groups of up to 8 people. We are also sometimes closed due to a large group booking or an event. Please make sure you check that we are open on the day you would like to visit and that there are places available on the tour you wish to attend, by calling us on 0115 9173824 and booking a ticket.
Tickets with the following entry times can be purchased:
The 11.15am and 2.30pm admission tickets will be available first and then the other tours will be available when these have been filled.
If you want to keep your day flexible you can just drop in and we’ll see if there’s space on the next tour, but to guarantee admission, at a time to suit you, please call us in advance to book.
Tour Updates: We have several groups visiting the Museum, affecting the number of tours we have available on specific dates. Please see below the dates affected and what scheduled tour times are still available to book on these dates.
- Thursday 30th August: 10.00am, 11.15am and 1.15pm.
- Wednesday 5th September: 1.15pm and 2.30pm.
- Thursday 6th September: 10.00am, 1.15pm and 2.30pm.
- Saturday 8th September: Open 11.00am-3.30pm for the Heritage Open Day for free drop in taster tours (20 minutes)
Should you have any questions, would like to book a tour, or just want to check availability on a specific date, please either phone (0115 917 3824) or email the Museum (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
D.H. Lawrence Birthplace Museum
8a Victoria Street
- Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 - 16:00
- Admission via guided tour only:
- Tour 1 10:00
- Tour 2 11.15
- Tour 3 13:15
- Tour 4 14:30
Tel: 0115 917 3824
How much does it cost?
A family ticket is up to 2 adults with up to 3 children.
Concession prices are for:
- Over 60s
- Wheelchair users & 1 carer*
- Full time students
Please note proof of concession may be required.
*Please note that due to the restrictions of the Grade II listed building there is no wheelchair access to the upper floors but a virtual tour of the Museum is available online here or on a laptop in the Museum Shop (upon request).
Historic Houses and Museums Association Memberships
Can I take photos?
You are welcome to take photos and films as part of your visit. Please feel free to use these for your personal, non-commercial* use.
Please can you:
- avoid taking photos or filming people without permission
- avoid taking photos of children without permission from their parent or guardian
- look out for signs telling you where photography or filming is not allowed
- ask at reception if you wish to take photographs or film for commercial* use
* Commercial means use that is intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or private monetary compensation
If you share your photos on social media don’t forget to tag the Museum:
How accessible is the museum?
Our lovely historic building does have some access limitations.
Please note that due to the restrictions of the Grade II listed building there is no wheelchair access to the upper floors. The tour requires visitors to use flights of steps. There is also low level (gas) lighting in the historic rooms and the rooms themselves are small.
Please do contact us with any questions so we may do our best to help, or click here to see the D.H. Lawrence Birthplace Museum’s Access Statement.